Thursday, July 22, 2010

Parenting with Purpose

The ladies in my bible fellowship class at church have been doing a bible study over the summer and one of the topics we touched on briefly was parenting.  I have read many books on this subject but the phrase “parent intentionally” really stood out in my mind.

One of the most profound things I learned during this study was the importance of parenting with a purpose.  Isn’t it true that our busy lives can cause us to get caught up in the mundane tasks of day to day life and sometimes overlook precious opportunities to make an impact on these little hearts?  For me,one of the most important goals I have as a parent is to attach my boys to God’s word.

Recently, Jackson and Preston were in trouble for arguing and fighting.  After the fact, we were talking about their misbehavior and what God’s word had to say about fighting.  Jackson immediately, without any prompting from me, bowed his head and asked God to forgive him.  We talked about Romans 12:18 that mentions we should “….live at peace with others.”  For the rest of the day, Jackson quoted this verse and both of my boys were so fun!  SCORE!!  I was so proud of my sweet boys!  What can I say, we have our good and bad days, but in the end…..that’s my heart’s desire and what I mean by “parenting with purpose”!