Sunday, April 11, 2010

Easter Events

I always love this time of year.  The weather is perfect (for the most part).  The sun is shining so we can be outside, the wind is blowing so we can fly our kite, and the flowers are beginning to bloom and nature begins to “come to life” again.  Besides Thanksgiving, Easter is one of my favorite holidays. 

This year was especially meaningful because Jackson fully understands the true meaning of Easter!  It brings such joy and happiness to my heart to hear him say with exuberance,
“Jesus is Alive”!  Jackson enjoys wearing his “preacher-man suit” on any ordinary day so he really enjoyed Easter Sunday since he had a reason to dress up in his Sunday best.  Every night (for 2 or 3 weeks), we read the story of the Crucifixion, Resurrection, and Ascension.  I have to admit, I grew tired of the redundancy of the story after 14 nights in a row. 

This was also the first year that Preston had an interest in hunting Easter eggs.  The 2 years before, he was more interested in sucking his thumb or playing with the grass in his basket.  This year, he was simply adorable running around behind big brother hunting eggs and “throwing” them in his basket.  As always, dying Easter eggs was a messy ordeal, especially with Preston saying “I do it myself” and all the while spilling blue egg dye all over the two of us and cracking the eggs on the iron table on our back porch.

For our family, Easter is a time to refocus on our Risen Lord, enjoy the beautiful flowers in bloom, and have fun with Easter activities.   My prayer is that I would become as passionate as my 4 year old son about the Easter story and as carefree as my 2 year old about the mundane tasks of life.