Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Sights and Sounds of Christmas

I can hardly believe another year has come and gone and Christmas is here once again. This has been a great year of fun and cherished memories.
Only ten years ago on December 11th, Jason and I were married and moved to Dallas. During those 10 years the Lord blessed us with two very precious boys, Jackson and Preston, who have brought so much joy to our lives. He has also blessed us with many dear friends.

Jason continues to work at Microsoft. Toni continues to stay at home with the boys and keeps busy with playdates and various events and activities.

Jackson turned 4 years old in August and is such a little man. He attends "Pre-K 4" at Prestonwood's Christian Learning Center two days per week and is learning so much. Jackson knows how to write his name and is interested in learning to read and use his computer (like father like son). He is such a loving child who sees the best in others and never meets a stranger. I told someone recently that I think Jackson demonstrates love for others the way Jesus would have us love. As I was tucking him in bed one night, Jackson said, "mom, just one more thing.....Jesus died on the cross for you"! Isn't it amazing that the Lord uses our children to give us small reminders about how to love and be loved? Jackson is involved in the Children's Choir at our church and really gets into the motions and the music. Jackson and Preston both are enrolled in year round swim lessons (indoors of course) and they are enjoying that.

Preston turned 2 years old in June and is such a little talker. He talks in complete paragraphs and can make his wishes very well known! I love to hear that baby voice pronouncing things in his own way. Preston also attends Prestonwood's Christian Learning Center 1 day per week. He enjoys singing, dancing, reciting the alphabet and counting. Preston and Jackson both attend our church's AWANAS program on Wednesday nights. Preston has been learning about creation while Jackson memorizes new bible verses each week. One day as we were driving down the road, Preston looked out of his window and pointed to the trees. He said, "Look mom....trees!! God did make the trees!" Once again, I am reminded of the miracles of creation through my children!

Our children are a breath of fresh air to the Christmas season. They are discovering each year the thrill of looking at Christmas lights, decorating the Christmas tree, learning Christmas carols, and most importantly learning the TRUE MEANING of Christmas. We "play" with our nativity set on a daily basis and talk about how everyone in the world is celebrating Jesus' birthday with all of the lights and special activities!

One year ago, my grandmother Jewell went to live with Jesus and one week ago, my grandmother Delia joined her. I miss both of these dynamic women greatly and will forever cherish the memories of Christmas at their houses where the sights and sounds of Christmas will always be remembered.