Sunday, February 21, 2010

What a Whirlwind!

I'm finally slowing down long enough to update our blog. Since Christmas, our lives have been a bit of a whirlwind. My Aunt Shirley passed away suddenly and unexpectedly in January. Immediately after my dad received the news, he started having severe chest pain. In summary, my father had to have emergency Quadruple Bypass open heart surgery the day before my aunt's funeral. His doctor said it was a miracle this was found because, due to the location, he could have suddenly passed away without any warning. Dad had 80% blockage in the "widowmaker" or main artery of his heart. He has been at home and receiving rehab for a month now and is making a good recovery. I spent several weeks in Louisiana helping my parents and spending quality time with both mom and dad. This was a bit of a scare but I am thankful to God that the condition of his heart was discovered before it was too late. This close call for my dad and the suddenness of my aunt's passing remind me of just how fragile life really is and to live with no hard feelings or regrets. Life is too short not to treasure each moment.

On a happy note, the boys were happy to be back home and in their normal routine. Not long after returning from Louisiana, we received a record breaking 12 inches of snow. Of course, we enjoyed playing in the snow, building snowmen, and having snowball fights. However, I have to say that I'm glad this is uncommon for Texas. It's nice to get out and play in it a few times a year but any more than that would be more than I could handle.